Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Happy Halloween, From My Cats to Yours



Hanks wants to wish you a Happy Halloween. Maude too, although, as cats, albeit black cats, they don’t really have a clue, and therefore aren’t actually up to wishing anybody a happy anything. They do look really cute in their little Halloween poses though, and it’s an excuse to post some new photos of the kids without exposing myself as some crazy cat lady.


If I dress up for the occasion at all, I do witch to complement the pets. The late great kitty Harold and I got all tarted up and posed pretty for the holiday a few years back. I’m sure wherever he is, (that would be in a cat shaped “urn” on my bookshelf), he’d like me to wish you a Happy Halloween on his behalf, although he never wished anybody a happy anything while he was alive either.

Over at Bob’s Donuts in the Farmer’s Market, they’re making their seasonal black cat donuts (pumpkins too, but that’s so obvious). I bought one of each just to take these photos, and then I had to eat them, don’t you know. (I wonder if they plan to make donut turkeys for Thanksgiving? I certainly hope so.)


There are lots of recipes for Halloween foods out there, most of them simply variations of stuff you would eat any other time of the year – the aforementioned donuts, cupcakes, candied apples, candy, candy, candy. But only one really speaks to my imagination as an original. (I don't even want to speculate about the mind that came up with this one.) It’s been floating around the internet for awhile, and although I haven’t made it, I’m just waiting to find the right occasion. Maybe to take into the office on the last day on a job that I hate or for the birthday of somebody I’d really rather not be remembering. Maybe next year I’ll get my mojo on and give a Halloween party just to try it out. I’m sure Hank and Maude would approve. This one’s for the felines.

KITTY LITTER CAKE

1 box spice or German chocolate cake mix
1 box of white cake mix
1 package white sandwich cookies
1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix
A few drops green food coloring
15 small Tootsie Rolls

SERVING "DISHES AND UTENSILS"
1 NEW cat-litter box (small size)
1 NEW cat-litter box liner
1 NEW pooper scooper

1) Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan. Prepare pudding and chill. Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or food processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs. Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside.

2) When cakes are at room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.

3) Unwrap 10 of the Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable. Shape the blunt ends into slightly curved points. Bury the rolls in the cake mixture. Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.

4) Heat remaining 5 Tootsie Rolls until almost melted, shape and scatter them on top of the cake, hanging a couple decoratively over the edge of the box. Sprinkle with crumbs from the litter box. Place box on a sheet of newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy!

I know some people who claim to have made it, and they insist it’s pretty darn tasty. (Cake, pudding, cookies, candy – what could be bad?) But really, who cares what it tastes like? This is one of those desserts you just make for the look. Anticipate oohs and aahs, and keep it well out of the way of the cats.

No comments: